- November 19, 2015
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Latest News
The Indian rupee, i.e. the Indian currency has some very interesting facts about it that are not known by much people.
There are actually a number of facts that a majority of people don’t know. Thus, if you also wish to know some interesting facts about the Indian currency, then the following facts would definitely amaze you:
1. The paper currency was issued in the 18th century.
2. RBI cannot issue the banknotes that have a higher denomination than 10,000, according to RBI Act, 1934.
3. Commemorative coins are issued in the honor of a certain occasion, like the 150 rupee coin was issued in 2011 in the honor of 150th birth anniversary of Rabindranath Tagore.
4. The currency is not made of paper; rather cotton rag and cotton.
[ Must Read: 10 Most Beautiful Cities in the World to Visit This New Year ]
5. In the language panel of currency notes, 15 languages appear.
6. For the visually impaired people, there is a triangle symbol for Rs 100, diamond for Rs 1000, square for Rs 50, none for Rs 10, circle for Rs 500 and rectangle for Rs 20. This helps in identifying the denomination.
7. Looking at the mint at the bottom of every coin, you can identify the unique signs:
• Kolkata mint – No mint mark
• Hyderabad mint – star
• Delhi mint – dot
• Mumbai mint – diamond
7. The rupee was divided into 16 annas during the British rule.
8. The old notes that lose their usable value are shredded and reborn as key chains, paper-weights, coasters and pen stands.
9. The four printing press where currency notes are printed are located at Mysore, Nashik, Salboni and Dewas.
In short, the Indian currency has enormous facts that everyone should know.