Don’t know where to go on holiday in January or how to reach there? We bring detailed info on top 10 holiday destinations in India that are perfect to be explored in the month of January. Most of the people prefer this month for travel purposes, because the airfares are quite cheaper, the New Year has just begun, the weather is ultimate (warm, dry and sunny) and so on. Whatever be the reason; the sole purpose is to enjoy and have fun with family and close acquaintances. Right?
So, if you are planning for a vacation in January, here is a detailed guide on different places in India that are a must visit for sure –
It is one of the most popular skiing destinations in India. Thus, referring to it as an adventurer’s paradise won’t be wrong in any manner. Located in Uttarakhand (chamoli district), this snow swathed place will win your heart, once you get there. In the month of January, the temperature drops to sub-zero levels. Therefore, it is recommended to carry parkas and pashminas, before visiting this place. Further, this place is home to varied Hindu pilgrimage points, such as Mount Neelkanth and Nanda Devi.
How to Reach:
• By Air: Almost 279 km from Auli, there is an airport in Dehradun, named as Jolly Grant Airport. This is the nearest airport and you may easily get taxi cabs from this airport to Auli.
• By Train: For the train route, you can travel to Raiwala near Rishikesh, which is the nearest railhead. Reaching this place, you can hire a car and reach Auli by evening.
• By Road: It is only 16 km distance between Joshimath and Auli, by road. You can also travel through Union and State transport buses, which operate between Joshimath and Rishikesh on a regular basis. Reaching joshimath, you will easily get taxi and bus services for Auli.
• By Cable Car: Another way to reach Auli is through Joshimath – Auli Ropeway, which has 10 towers and 2 cable cars. It covers a distance of almost 4.15 kms in 22 minutes. While on this Ropeway journey, you may get to explore picturesque views of Ghori Parbat, Nanda Devi, Dungagri, Mana Parbat, Nikanth Hathi Parbat and Beethartoli.
2. Havelock Island
If you love quiet beaches, then this is the ideal destination for you. This place is a hidden gem and is popular for its wide stretching horizon, crystal clear waters, scuba diving, beaches and laid back vibe. It lies almost 41 km northeast from Port Blair, which is the capital city of Andaman and Nicobar Islands. It is divided into several villages and attracts a number of travellers from varied corners of the world. Another exciting fact of this place is that you will get to see varied larger sea animals, without any difficulty. Some of them are: bigger fishes, dolphins and turtles. These animals are known to be very friendly with the coastal people. Your partner or your kids will definitely love this place.
How to Reach:
• By Air: You can travel in a seaplane (operated by Pawan Hans) from Port Blair to Havelock. The 8-seater Cessna seaplane sails regularly from Port Blair to Havelock and vice versa, except Sundays. However, the sailing is dependent upon the weather conditions.
• By Water: If you take on the water route, the ideal way would be to travel through Government-operated ferries or air-conditioned catamaran ferry. You can even go through cruise, which would take hardly 90 minutes to reach the Havelock Island.
If you wish to have a lively and hunky-dory travel experience, Goa is destination for you and your family. The winter sun feels wonderful during the daytime. Thus, beaches are a popular hotspot here. Further, the nights are pretty colorful, due to the happening and exciting parties organized all around. Additionally, a holiday in Goa is incomplete without ferry rides, palm-fringed beaches, Gothic churches, coconut groves, crumbling forts, bubbly folk music.
How to Reach:
• By Air: The nearest airport is Goa International Airport, which is also known as Dabolim Airport. It is well-connected to different locations, like Ahmedabad, Delhi, Kuwait, Lucknow, Jaipur, Mumbai, Muscat, Chandigarh, Abu Dhabi, Pune, Bangalore and Dubai.
• By Train: You can travel through two railheads, viz. Vasco-da-Gama Railway Station and Margaon Railway Station. These railheads are linked to multiple cities, such as Lucknow, Mumbai, Chennai, Delhi and Jaipur. Other than these, you can also opt for Thivim Railway Station and Karmali Railway Station.
• By Road: There are a number of bus services that are connected to several important cities, viz. Kolhapur, Hubli, Mumbai, Pune, Mahabaleshwar, Shirdi, Bangalore and Mysore.
4. Jim Corbett National Park
Situated in Uttarakhand, Jim Corbett National Park is a fantastical destination in India to visit in the month of January. This is the ideal place where you and your family will get to experience thrill at its best. This park is home to multiple endangered specifies of flora and fauna, including the royal predators, i.e. Tigers. It is divided into 4 zones, such as Durgadevi, Bijrani, Jhirna and Dhikala zones. In simple words, it is a great place to hangout with family and enjoy wildlife safari.
How to Reach:
• By Train: The nearest railway station is Ramnagar. You can catch up a direct train from Delhi to reach Ramnagar. If you wish, you can reach up to Kathgodam/ Haldwani/ Kashipur and then come to Ramnagar via road.
• By Road: It takes only 15 Kms to reach Corbett from Ramnagar town, which is well connected to different Indian cities via road network. The state government buses operate from Haldwani, Delhi and Moradabad and reaches directly Ramnagar.
Since Britisher’s time, ooty is known to be a popular destination in South India. Its cool and misty weather makes it an ideal destination to be visited in January month. A number of families and newly-wed couples visit this place each year to explore its natural and serene beauty. Further, it is majorly known for beautiful lakes, lush green hills and dense forests. So, if you are a nature lover and looking for a picturesque picnic spot, just search for affordable ooty holiday packages today.
How to Reach:
• By Air: The nearest domestic airport is Coimbatore and is connected with several cities in India. If you wish, you can also board flights from the Bangalore airport, as it is connected to different cities all across the globe. Generally, there are regular flights from Chennai, Mumbai and Delhi and connecting Coimbatore and Bangalore. After reaching the airport, you can hire a bus or taxi to reach Ooty.
• By Train: 40 kilometres away from Ooty, there is a railhead, called as Mettupalyam, which is connected by trains coming from Mysore, Chennai, Bangalore and Coimbatore. You can travel through Mangalore Express, Ooty Udagamandalam Passenger train, Mangalore Mail, Mettupalyam Udagamandalam Passenger train and various others.
• By Bus: Overnight luxury and government bus services are available from Chennai, Bangalore and Mysore to reach Ooty. Special government buses are also available from Calicut.
• Self-Drive/ By Road: If you are driving from Bangalore, you can take 2 routes: via Chamarajanagar or via Mysore. Driving through the route, you will reach Gundlupet and enter the forest road amidst the famous Mudumalai Wildlife Sanctuary and Bandipur National Park.
Located in Rajasthan, this place is one of the top Indian destinations to suit your budget and taste. In the month of January, you will get to see camel festival here. In this festival, the camels are decorated by their owners and participate in unique competitions, like best fur cutting, best haircut of a camel, camel milking and so on. These camels are well-trained and dance to the directions of their respective owners. Thus, it can be a fun-filled ride to explore the colorful Bikaner with your family and close acquaintances.
How to Reach:
• By Air: The nearest airport is the Jodhpur Airport. You can board direct flights from Delhi, Goa, Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Jammu, Mumbai, Kolkata, Ahmedabad, Pune, Lucknow, Indore, Chennai, Guwahati, and others to reach this airport. The second nearest airport is Jaipur International Airport.
• By Train: If you chose the train route, you will find Lalgarh Railway Station and Bikaner Junction as the two railheads. With well-connected rail system, Bikaner is connected to different cities, like Punjab, Delhi, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Ahmedabad, Guwahati, Thiruvananthapuram and others.
• By Bus: Plenty of bus services are available that ranges from volvo, deluxe, luxury, non-air-conditioned, air-conditioned, and state-owned government buses. Depending on your budget, you can choose among these bus services. You can also travel through inter-city buses, which connect different cities (Agra, Delhi, Ajmer, Jaisalmer, Ahmedabad, Jaipur etc.) to Bikaner.
• Self-Drive/ By Road: If you wish to have a memorable trip to Bikaner, you can drive through national and state highways, viz. NH 11, 15 and 89. These highways connect Bikaner to different Indian cities and metros.
You may feel why Delhi is on this list. But, this place is known to attract a number of tourists from India and around the world, due to its chilling winters, vividness and rich cultural heritage. The early mornings are very pretty and foggy. So, if you explore this place early in the morning, do not forget to enjoy the hot and finger licking delicious street food. For those, who have been to Delhi, it is advised to carry enough warm clothes.
How to Reach:
• By Air: The nearest airport is Indira Gandhi International Airport. Regular flights operate from the airport.
• By Train: Most of the major cities are well-linked to New Delhi through regular trains. Some of the railway stations are: Delhi Anand Vihar Terminal, Sadar Bazar, Shivaji Bridge, Delhi Cantt., Narela, Nangloi, Tilak Bridge, Mangolpur and so on.
• By Bus: Regular bus service connects different Indian cities to New Delhi. Najafgarh is a popular Bus Station.
This place should definitely be on your trip list for January month, owing to its exquisite beauty, culture, weather and beaches. It is a beach town in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala. The beaches are surfing friendly and the weather adds to the fun level. Mid-January is the perfect time to visit this place, as Gramam, which is an annual festival is hosted during this time. Partake in traditional Keralan cuisine and see how the locals dress up in their ethnic and enjoy this time of the year.
How to Reach:
• By Air: The nearest airport is Trivandrum International Airport, which is almost 15km away from Kovalam. This airport is connected to Colombo, Singapore and other cities around the world. Also, it connects to a number of cities in India. Reaching here, you can hire a taxi, auto-rickshaw or a bus to reach Kovalam.
• By Train: The nearest railway station is the Trivandrum Central railway station, which is well linked to different Indian cities. From here, you can take a bus, taxi or cab to reach the final destination.
• By Bus: City bus services are easily available. So, you can travel through them, or you can take the Luxury tourist bus services that can be availed from Chennai, Bangalore, Nagercoil and Madurai.
No attraction can beat the seductress beauty of Darjeeling, especially in the foggy January mornings. Known as a peaceful destination in West Bengal, this place will let you come across the misty mountains, emerald green tea gardens, ride of Darjeeling Himalayan Railway, Kanchenjunga peak, orchids, pine and Rhododendron. The major attractions here are: The Bhutia Busty Gompa, Dhirdham and Mahakal Temples, Mirik, Senchal Lake and various others.
How to Reach:
• By Air: The nearest airport is Bagdogra Airport, which is nearly 95 km away from the city. You can travel through direct flights that fly from Guwahati, Kolkata and Delhi to reach Darjeeling. You can then hire a taxi, to reach to the desired location.
• By Train: New Jalpaiguri (the nearest railway station) connects Darjeeling with major parts of the country. You can get trains from Kolkata, Bhubaneshwar, Delhi, Mumbai, Guwahati, Bengaluru, Chennai and Kochi.
• By Bus: A slow but economical bus service is available from Siliguri. Buses also operate from Kalimpong, Kurseong and Gangtok city.
10. Rann of Kutch
If you are looking forward to explore the nature’s best gift, then this place is the most suited one for you. It is located in the Kutch District of Gujarat and looks amazingly beautiful from nearby hilly areas. January is the ideal month, as you would be able to explore the Rann Utsav. This is basically a celebration of culture, life and festivities of Kutch. Number of activities, like Archery, Pool Table, Horse Ride, Table Tennis, Camel Safari, Giant Chess, Bird Watching etc. are hosted here.
How to Reach:
• By Air: Flights from varied parts of India land at Bhuj, which is the administrative city of Kutch. You can also board flights from Mumbai. From the airport, you can hire auto rickshaw or taxi to get straight to Kutch.
• By Train: For the train route Kutch express from Mumbai can be the ideal way out. However, different major cities on the country are well-linked to Bhuj rail route.
• By Road: Travelling via road can be a fun experience. The city is well-connected to neighbouring cities through highway number 8. You can also board state and private buses.
Pack Your Bags Today
These are some of the finest destinations that should be on your January trip list. So, call your friends, family or close relatives and plan for a holiday today. A refreshing break or vacation is necessary for everyone. But, most of the time people chose a wrong place at the wrong time. hence, we have gathered info on some of the most popular destinations that will help you create a fantastical holiday. So, get going today..!!
Never miss a story..!!
Grab the Latest Translation and language News, Tips, Updates & Trends..!!
See Our Knowledge Center