People often search for the Unknown India Facts & Figures on the internet or in the books. Hence, we bring Interesting Facts about India that will blow your mind with an amazing stuff. India, as we all know, is a land of diversity.
Hence, it has a number of facts that often remain unexplored by people around the world. Keeping this in mind, we have gathered important and basic information about the country that you should definitely have a look at –
• India got independent on 15th of August 1947.
• Every year, 26th January is celebrated as the republic day of India, as it was on 26 January 1950 that the Indian constitution was adopted.
• New Delhi is the capital of India.
• Population of India in 2016 is recorded to be around 1,326,801,576.
• +91 is the country Code of India.
• Indian citizens, who are 18 years old or above, enjoy the right to cast their vote.
• The country has the world’s largest democracy with a federal government.
• There are 6 seasons in Hindu calendar of India, viz. monsoon, spring, summer, winter autumn and prevernal.
• Tiger is the national animal, while peacock is the national bird of India.
Important Facts about India
• Official Name: Bharat, Republic of India
• Capital: New Delhi
• Coordinates: 20.5937° N, 78.9629° E
• Area: 3.287 million km²
• Population: 1,326,801,576
• National Currency: Indian Rupee
• Major Religions (as in 2011 census): Hinduism (79.8%), Christianity (2.3%), Jainism (0.4%), Islam (14.2%), Sikhism (1.7%), Buddhism (0.7%), Religion not stated (0.2%) and other religions (0.7%).
• Sex Ratio: 945 females per 1,000 males
• Coastline Length: 7,516.6 km
• Literacy rate: 74.04%
• Population Density: 382 persons per square kilometer
• President: Pranab Mukherjee
• Prime Minister: Narendra Modi
• Vice President: Mohammad Hamid Ansari
• Languages: Hindi and English
• National Flag: Tricolor flag
• National Song: Vande Mataram
• National Flower: Lotus
• National Anthem: Jana Gana Mana
• National Bird: Peacock
• National Emblem: Lion Capital of Ashoka
• National Aquatic Animal: South Asian River Dolphin, River Dolphin
• National Animal: Tiger
• National Tree: Banyan (Ficus bengalensis)
• National Fruit: Mango
• National Sport: Hockey
• National River: Ganga
Indian History Facts
• Ayurveda is known to be developed in India
• The game ‘Snakes and Ladders’ was created by Saint Gyandev, who was an Indian poet. Not just this, Chess, which was also invented in India.
• India never invaded any other country in its huge history.
• The Agra Taj Mahal is one of the Seven Wonders of the World and was constructed by the Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan.
• The Mughal Empire was established in India in 1526.
• Before the British invasion, India was known to be one of the richest countries in the world.
• Nathuram Godse is known to be the one who assassinated Mahatma Gandhi.
• Jallianwala Bagh Massacre took place in 1919.
• The concept of Zero was developed by an Indian Mathematician, viz. Brahmagupta. Several other mathematicians also contributed their part in Indian history, for example, Budhayana calculated the value of ‘pi’; Aryabhata invented the Place Value System and Bhaskaracharya calculated the total time, which the Earth takes to orbit around the Sun.
• The geographical coordinates of India are 20.5937° N, 78.9629° E
• India lies in the eastern and northern hemispheres.
• The country ranks at the 10th position in terms of plant diversity.
• The longest river in India is Ganga (also known as Ganges).
• India is known to be the world’s seventh largest country, which is 9 times the size of Japan, 13 times the size of United Kingdom and 4 times the size of Pakistan.
• The lowest point and the highest point in India is Indian Ocean and Mount Kanchenjunga respectively.
• The country experiences tropical monsoon climatic conditions.
• The land borders of India are shared with Pakistan, Myanmar, China, Bangladesh, Nepal, Afghanistan and Bhutan, and.
• There are almost 47,000 species of flora and 81,000 species of fauna found in India.
• India’s largest fresh water lake is Wular Lake.
• Press Trust of India is the largest news agency in India.
Economy Facts About India
• The Indian economy ranks at the 7th position with nominal GDP worth 2,250.99 billion dollars.
• It is the world’s largest arms importers.
• The Bombay Stock Exchange is counted among the world’s largest stock exchanges.
• There are a number of Grade-A offices in Bangalore than in Singapore.
• India is home to number of billionaires, apart from US and China.
• India ranks at the 9th position among the countries having the largest foreign currency reserve assets.
• The 7 unicorns of India include Flipkart, Shopclues, Ola, Quickr, Snapdeal, One97 Communications and Zomato Media.
• India is one of the countries where the youth contributes in the growth of economy.
• India is counted among the world’s most competitive economies and is ranked at the 39th position.
• Agriculture is the primary source of income for a major proportion of Indian citizens.
• Delivering almost 29.8 million tons of bananas, India ranks at the top position in producing bananas.
• India has a contribution of almost 10% in the world’s total fruit production.
• No authority, other than RBI, can issue currency notes in India.
• India is also one of the top producers of coffee, silk, spices, tea, sugar, fish, rubber and cotton in the world.
• It is the largest processor, producer, consumer and exporter of cashew nuts in the world.
Facts About Science & Technology in India
• Supercomputers are manufactured in only some of the countries across the world, and India is one of them.
• India entered the Martian orbit successfully in its first attempt.
• It is counted among the world’s few satellite launching countries.
Other Amazing Facts
• Varanasi is an ancient city in India which attracts thousands of tourists around the year.
• India is known for its natural resources, which include limestone, coal, iron ore, manganese, natural gas, bauxite etc.
• There are almost 12 major ports in India with 187 minor ports
• The country has a number of post offices (almost more than 1.5 lakh).
• Indian Railways is one of the largest employers in the world, with almost 1.4 million employees.
• Chail in Himachal Pradesh is home to the world’s highest cricket ground. It is located 2,444 meters above the sea level.
• Hinduism, Sikhism, Buddhism and Jainism are the major religions in India. Apart from these, Islam is also a major religion in India, which is also prominent around the world.
• The Bailey Bridge is located at the highest altitude and constructed by was the Indian Army in 1982.
• The country is the land of several talented software developers, engineers and scientists.
To put it in a nutshell, India has infinite number of facts related to it in a number of ways. Hence, reading about the country can be a great fun. Apart from this, if you are looking for real fun, you must definitely plan a trip to the country and explore the diverse nature of the country in its truest sense.
Never miss a story..!!
Grab the Latest Industry News, headlines, Updates & more..!!
[email-subscribers namefield=”NO” group=”Public”]
See Our Knowledge Center