- June 8, 2018
- Posted by: Shivangi Mittal
- Category: Language Blog, Translation Blog
Most of the time, the English students take this language for granted. It is primarily a significant part of the Indo European Language and most of its words are procured from Ancient Latin and Greek, also spoken commonly in Europe. But for the English learners, this language can prove to be rather tough. Most counties have made this language as their second official language, making it important for the world to know. Even in some parts of the world, people can speak English fluently and better than British and American English speakers!
Recent studies have indicated that there are around 1 billion English speakers around the world nowadays. But still, this language can prove to be a bit difficult to take control over.
Focusing On Contradictions
For most of the students, contradictions in English language might be the sole reason behind its difficulty. It is somewhat like a riddle for most of them.
• For the Native English speakers, the logic behind this language might not be illogical, but that’s not what the world seems.
• People speaking English by birth won’t find it difficult to speak in English and follow the norms mentioned.
• However, for the first time learners, every facet of English seems like a riddle, making them more confused than ever.
Exceptions Followed By Rules
English houses too many rules to follow, making it rather confusing for the first time English learners. Moreover, some rules have way too many exceptions, as well. English is known to house various irregular verbs, making it difficult for the learners to go through and learn 370 irregular verbs. These rule and their exceptions might hamper students even more.
Order Of The Word
For the native English speakers, it is not hard to deal with the word orders. But for learners, this seems to be a rather difficult job.
• Explaining the reason behind logical order of words and their positioning might be a difficult task to consider.
• Another major difficult thing in this regard has to be the right and wrong order, which can sometimes, proves to be elusive to discern.
• It is not that easy to actually explain the word order properly, making it sounds right.
• Sometimes, some sentences are grammatically correct but do not sound right. It depends on the placement of words in a sentence.
• Furthermore, it becomes difficult for the learners to understand nuances of English language.
For The Pronunciation
Spelling is rather a difficult note to consider when it is associated with English language. Some spellings in UK English will be completely different from the American one, even when the pronunciation remains the same.
• The students might have to contend with pronunciation before focusing on the spelling itself.
• In English, there are so many ways to pronounce words with the exact same letter combinations, like bough, rough, through and more.
• Sometimes, silent letters are located at beginning, end or even in middle of words, making pronunciation a bit difficult. Some examples are knife, daughter, write, aisle, gnome, knee, knock, lamb and what not.
• Speakers might face difficulty in words compounded with more consonants than vowels and even similar thing the other way round. Some examples are Crystal, Photosynthesis, Scythe, Symphony, Motorcycle, Rhythm and more.
• Even there are some English words, which don’t even have vowels in them like shhh, grr, hmm and more to come. The consonant combinations are designed to produce sounds, understood quickly than meaning something principle.
Certain Words And Their Emphasis
Speakers sometime put emphasis or stress on certain words, which will generally change the meaning of the word in a rather subtle manner.
• Each time you put emphasis on different word in a sentence, the meaning will change completely.
• At some point, the emphasis remains clearer, making it easier to understand the intended meaning.
• But, there are some other times, when the emphasis is not quite distinctive, and this might lead towards misinterpretation.
• Putting emphasis on certain words can often lead to express the way the speaker feels.
Synonyms Are Hard To Interchange
Most of English words have the same meaning, like watch and see. But, it isn’t always possible to swap their uses in different sentences. For example, you can “watch TV”, but you cannot “see TV.” For making this task rather complicated even more, you cannot call yourself a “watcher” when you are enjoying TV shows. But, you will be known as “viewer.” On the other hand, you cannot use the term “view TV” in a sentence but can often say “TV viewer.”
All these points are rather confusing for the first timer learners, but not for those, whose native language is English. Once you start focusing on this foreign language, it will be tough. But, once you get a hold of it by using it on a daily basis, there is no turning back for other options in the list for sure.
Never miss a story..!!
Grab the Latest Translation and language News, Tips, Updates & Trends..!!
See Our Blogcenter